America – Where has the dream gone? What ails America?

Home Forums Rest of the world – cultural and travel expereinces USA and Canada America – Where has the dream gone? What ails America?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Baruti M. Kamau 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

RonCartier
    Participant

[justify]Hi there everyone – I spend a lot of time on this site, though I’ve not written much until now. I like a lot of the members here. For example, there’s @kebin. Or @ellensummers. And recently, I noticed a very relevant topic by @baruti.

I know I don’t say much, but it’s an honor to talk to everyone here. And now on to my first big topic on Indiapalette…

[hr]

I often wonder what’s happened to America. Sure, this country has made mistakes over the centuries – and what country hasn’t? Yet, one gets the feeling that there’s something seriously amiss with America today.

We’ll talk about some of America’s mistakes since its founding, and how they’ve been corrected, or not.
    And then we’ll talk about the mistakes that America might be making today.

[hr]

[size=15]MISTAKE ONE: Slavery and Racism.[/size]

Mistake number one, was, of course, slavery, and that child of slavery, racism. Now, I’m not going to start on a diatribe about the evils of slavery and the wrongs done to people. There’s nothing I can say there that hasn’t been said before. Instead, I’ll talk about the wrong a nation does itself through the institution of slavery – and I’m going to go back in time roughly 2000 years to prove my point.

2000 years ago, in the sphere of influence of ancient Greece, a new system of thought was forming. Instead of the superstition of ages past, science was beginning to gain a foothold – people were beginning to engage in rational thought. At this time, many great thinkers proved their worth – these ancient greek and Ionian scientists postulated, millennia ahead of our time, that the earth was round (they even calculated its circumference!), that the earth was not the center of the universe, but that the universe was filled with stars much like our sun. They postulated upon the origins of life – immediately after the greek era, the Library of Alexandria, under descendant’s of Alexander’s generals, became the greatest center of learning that history has ever known.

Had this science continued, today we’d have starships returning from the stars. But it didn’t happen. Instead, humanity abandoned science and slipped back into a dark age of superstition, believing that the world was flat, that the universe revolved around the earth, and so forth.
    Why did this happen? Because of slavery, that’s why. Those ancient Greeks might have been brilliant scientists, but to them slavery was the ‘norm’. This led to a culture that looked down on manual labor as ‘slave’s work’. Unfortunately, much scientific experiment is ‘manual labor’ – and without that manual labor, science itself died – their civilization itself died!

And that shows you how a civilization can damage itself through slavery. The horror of American slavery is not merely that it damaged individuals, but that it damaged the very nation that engaged in it. And beyond slavery lies racism – which is by no means dead today, as everyone knows.

I don’t have to talk about what’s bad about racism. If a person can’t see that for himself, I hold him to be ‘inferior’ to myself.

[hr]

[size=15]MISTAKE TWO: Over-Governing and over-control. Demanding obedience to the letter of the law, rather than to the spirit of the law.[/size]

Kebin is a rather interesting writer on this site. He’s written a very telling post about the ‘letter of the law’ right here, in a topic that postulates that we might actually be living in an anti-utopia – you might want to have a look at it, @baruti. This is the link to the topic…

http://www.indiapalette.com/forums/topic/anti-utopia-2015-does-a-world-of-darkness-masquerade-as-a-land-of-light/#post-10264

And this is what kebin said there:
    [quote=10194]Slight of hand in politics is the oldest trick in the book. Going back thousands of years. Control, etc. Even the Bible has been rewritten time and again. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t to enhance an old story.

With all that said though, it goes much much deeper than just ‘earning a living’ and such. America is a great example of illusory freedom. No one person here owns a piece of land, no matter what they’ve told you. You want to raise your own food from the land you live on? Limited number of crops on your zoned land. You want to build a fence around that small garden? Not without a permit. The guy in the house behind me lives on 4 acres of land in a small farm house. The rest of the land used to be crops. He’s just within city limits now, and as such can no longer farm them. It’s all grass now, with a small patch of a garden as legally permitted.

There’s so much more than just this, but it’s an example. The point is, it goes deep, and it’s all just another system of control. The unfortunate part is… it works.[/quote]

This is one of my main issues with America today – over-government, and over-control. Do we REALLY need so many rules, so much red tape? There’s another word for too many rules, too heavily enforced – OPPRESSION! LOSS OF FREEDOM!! Perhaps we need less laws and more common sense.

[hr]

[size=15]MISTAKE THREE: Too many guns.[/size]

Yes, there are a lot of rednecks out there who talk about the ‘divine right to bear arms’. But seriously, this is the stupidest thing our country has ever done. Do we need kids shooting each other? Do we need cops killing people – or people killing cops, for that matter? Here’s a VERY relevant topic on this by baruti for anyone who’d like to read it, incidentally…

http://www.indiapalette.com/forums/topic/anti-oppression-rally-in-cincinnati-ohio/

I always believe that we can learn a lot by stepping back to look at the bigger picture. Instead of looking at America, let’s look at what the rest of the planet is doing. And the rest of the planet is limiting gun-access. As a matter of fact, in many countries, not only do the citizens not bear arms, but the average cop on the street DOESN’T WEAR A GUN either. And these countries run just fine. Yes, there are criminals, and the criminals do pack guns – but most of these nations have special police forces that are heavily armed, and who focus very intensely on criminals with guns. As a matter of fact, in countries where the citizens and the cops don’t wear guns, wearing a gun is almost absolutely certain to bring everyone down on you. The simple fact is that these countries have a massively lower number of gun-related deaths than America – both gun deaths inflicted by citizens and criminals on each other, as well as gun deaths inflicted by the police on citizens, and vice versa.

I think a lot of guns within easy reach is a bad idea – guns should never have been invented. They make killing just a trifle too easy.

[hr]

[size=15]MISTAKE FOUR: Losing the dream.[/size]

I’ve written a lot here about the mistakes America has made. But I believe in America – or at least, I did when I was a child. I truly, truly believed that this was a great country, that it stood for freedom and advancement, not only for its citizens, but as a beacon for the whole human race.

Where has the dream gone, my brothers?

What are these strange laws that weigh down on us, shackling our civil liberties? What is this strange yoke we wear? It doesn’t feel natural… it doesn’t feel… American!

How did this happen?

There was a time when America said, not only to its own peoples but to the whole world, as engraved on the base of the statue of liberty…

“Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.”

“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
    With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

What race writes such words? Truly a great race, a people with a great empathy for all humanity. This is what America stands for. Or used to stand for. Or should stand for.

What does she stand for today?

Money? Capitalism? Big industry? Profits?

Yes, I think so.

[size=20]It’s time that changed.[/size][/justify]

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by  RonCartier.
    • This topic was modified 4 years ago by  indiapalette.

Alis
    Participant

Very well written, @roncartier. We used to idealize the American lifestyle in Eastern Europe, but as we get more exposure in the world of today, it becomes easier to understand that every society has their own problems. I knew about most of the problems you’ve specified, but the last one – losing the ability to dream – sounds especially bitter. It’s just so sad.
    @kebin and @baruti, do you feel the same?

Baruti M. Kamau
    Participant

@roncartier, your thoughts and sentiments expressed in this topic are similar to mine. Clearly, we have arrived at these conclusions through different avenues; nevertheless, our thrust is the same. I don’t know where this all intrusive, big government with laws expanding into areas of society that shouldn’t be regulated derived from. I do know that it is oppressive and I don’t like it. When you get time, visit my site and read my new editorial We Want Justice Not A “Damn Punk.”

Sapphire
    Participant

[quote=12331]@roncartier, your thoughts and sentiments expressed in this topic are similar to mine. Clearly, we have arrived at these conclusions through different avenues; nevertheless, our thrust is the same. I don’t know where this all intrusive, big government with laws expanding into areas of society that shouldn’t be regulated derived from. I do know that it is oppressive and I don’t like it. When you get time, visit my site and read my new editorial We Want Justice Not A “Damn Punk.”[/quote]

Very well put, @baruti. I especially like the statement about ‘intrusive, big government expanding into areas of soceity that shouldn’t be regulated.’ – that couldn’t have been put better.

However, I went to your site – I presume it’s http://www.barutiwa.com? And I couldn’t find the article you mentioned. Could you please post a link the article here? I would be very interested in reading it. And you can include a link to your site in your signature here – that way, when you refer to your site, people will be able to find it easily.

Baruti M. Kamau
    Participant

We Want Justice Not A “Damn Punk”

Goto barutiwa.com and search “eric holder” to find the op-ed piece.

Thank you for your feedback, @sapphire. I sent you a friend request. 🙂

Separately, it’s strange how capitalism can progress from emphasizing free markets to encouraging the arrest of competition. This must be the junction where ethics come into conflict with the capitalist’s greed.

Antonina
    Participant

@baruti, your website is very informative, you’re doing a great job.

Baruti M. Kamau
    Participant

@ anna-marine, thank you very much for your compliment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.