Foreign movies about India

Home Forums India – cultural and travel experiences Foreign movies about India

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Antonina
    Participant

A Passage to India

Directed by David Lean

Year 1984

Country   United Kingdom
    United States
    One of my favorite movies about India. A beautiful movie by David Lean, based on Edward Forster’s novel. The movie depicts life in India under the British Empire and relations between the colonizers and Indians. A young Englishwoman Adela (Judy Davis) comes India to meet her fiance, who holds a position of a governmental official in India. Adela is deeply disappointed in the sort of lifestyle the English lead in India and the way they treat local people. So she comes to decision to travel a bit around the country and experience what it has to offer on her own. Invited by Dr. Aziz along with her fiance’s mother, she goes for a trip to the Malabar caves, where the most mysterious things happen to her.

Slow pace, thoughtfulness, beautiful scenery, splendid music, great acting – this is what makes the movie really special. Highly recommended.

[youtube]6HmCdzUCQWU[/youtube]

A Passage To India movie image

Antonina
    Participant

Salaam Bombay!

Directed by Mira Nair

Year 1988

Country India

United Kingdom

France

A much better alternative to “The Slumdog…”, to my mind. A story of a boy surviving in the harsh environment of Bombay. The only drawback I would point out – a bit of flirtation with the western audience in showing only the dark side of the city, but other than that the movie is fabulous. One of my favorites.

[youtube]XYciGm4tziI[/youtube]

1 2 3

Antonina
    Participant

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

[youtube]dDY89LYxK0w[/youtube]

Antonina
    Participant

[youtube]ipybfk2lh6A[/youtube]

Antonina
    Participant

Outsourced , 2006

[youtube]LImhTTFu4b8[/youtube]

Antonina
    Participant

Samsara, 2001

[youtube]Co1ZTnzcjMM[/youtube]

Antonina
    Participant

The Slumdog Millionaire, 2008

[youtube]kuSTr48P9mc[/youtube]

Antonina
    Participant

The Journey Beyond Tree Seas (Pardesi)

Year – 1957

Country – Soviet Union, India

[youtube]FHabEFiL4Yw[/youtube]

Antonina
    Participant

Kim, 1950

Country – United States

[youtube]b5hqKsMyPsk[/youtube]

Antonina
    Participant

Gandhi, 1982

Directed by Richard Attenborough

Country – India, United Kingdom

Jason
    Participant

OMG there are so many movies about India. Shame i didn’t know that ..:(

Antonina
    Participant

@jason

So perhaps you would like to start watching them? ‘A Passage to India’ is a must, it’s classic.

Antonina
    Participant

One more foreign movie about India – ‘The Indian nocturne’. A very unusual vision of India, a very unusual film. If you seek for logic and clear story line, don’t go for this movie – you’ll be disappointed. If you’re an admirer of Kafka’s prose and Pessoa’s poetry, you can give it a try.

kamal
    Participant

@anna-marine

I especially liked myself being at the sight in the plot that is depicted in the picture at the end. Those wooden houses beside the lake with a happy sunlight evoked my pleasure of being there. Didn’t remember what I’m talking about, it is the place of kashmir lol. That must be the reason why the director of the movie ended it at the sight of kashmir for allowing the audience to leave the theater in delight. I liked it “A passage to India” and i’ve also watched “The best exotic marigold hotel”. There are two more left for me to watch here.. i’ll watch them soon.

Antonina
    Participant

[quote=6706]That must be the reason why the director of the movie ended it at the sight of kashmir for allowing the audience to leave the theater in delight. I[/quote]

Hm, never thought of it, I wonder if delight of the audience was his consideration… But yes, the difference in pace allows a viewer (and originally a reader as it’s based on the book) to slow down and think it over.

@kamal
    , make sure to see “Salaam Bombay”, I absolutely loved it, in spite of the subject.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.