How are people dealing with the heat?

Home Forums India – cultural and travel experiences How are people dealing with the heat?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

I read that India is currently experiencing a heat wave, and that temperatures have been in the 40’s. Is this typical for India at this time of year? Is it a dry or humid heat? How are people in India dealing with the high temperatures?

I imagine the hotels are air conditioned, but what about things like restaurants, grocery stores, taxis, etc? Not many things are air conditioned where I live because the temperature doesn’t get too high very often. Sometimes the temperature will reach the mid 30’s and it makes things very uncomfortable with the humidity that we have.

OrientalSong
    Participant

In many Indian restaurants there are AC (air conditioned) and non AC halls. If you have your meal in an AC one, you pay more 🙂

Paul
    Participant

[quote=16306]If you have your meal in an AC one, you pay more :)[/quote]

Wow, I never heard of anyone charging more money for something like that.

Antonina
    Participant

He he, it’s true. The electricity bills are quite high compared to the income, and if you buy a bottle of water from a smaller shop, the owner will take 2-3 rupees more if it’s from the fridge.

Antonina
    Participant

This video will give an idea of the intensity of heat wave in India.

[youtube]1dTMYr3I82I[/youtube]

Paul
    Participant

[quote=16318]This video will give an idea of the intensity of heat wave in India.[/quote]
    A member on one of my forums said it is 44C today where he lives in India. I lived in an area where that temperature is common during the summer months, but it is a dry heat and is almost bearable. What are the humidity levels like there?

Antonina
    Participant

[quote=16319]What are the humidity levels like there?[/quote]

It varies from region to region, but in Mumbai it’s quite humid – the city is basically an island, so it’s understandable. The humidity level is around 75 % here, and it makes it so much harder to endure the heat. So, what can one do to make it more bearable?
    1. Avoid going out between 11 am to 5 pm.
    2. If you do go out, don’t forget an umbrella and sunblocks.
    3. Having a bottle of water with you is a big must.
    4. If you don’t have a daytime job (like me), try to wake up as early as possible to finish your work till midday and then stay “motionless” in the hottest part of the day.
    5. Avoid synthetic fabrics and stick to pure cotton clothes.
    6. Avoid heavy meals and keep it light and simple.

I’ll write more if I remember something 🙂

Maddie
    Participant

I’ve gotten in the habit lately of drinking more water. I find it to be healthier for me.

When I am at work, I have a fan at my work station that helps me to stay cooler. I always keep that on full blast.

Alis
    Participant

[quote=16299]How are people in India dealing with the high temperatures?[/quote]

Spending time in the malls 🙂 At least we did when we traveled around India.

Antonina
    Participant

[quote=16375]I have a fan at my work[/quote]

Oh yes, in India ceiling fans are everywhere! At first I hated them for the noise, but they do make life much easier.

Paul
    Participant

I just saw India had a record temperature of 51C http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36339523 . I can’t imagine being in that kind of heat. I hope everyone is staying safe, heat exhaustion can be very dangerous.

Antonina
    Participant

You won’t believe it, @paul, I’ve just come here with the same news. TO be honest, we’re not alright – my kids are getting tired and lifeless easily, and I avoid taking them out even in the evening after the sunset. Skin rashes on their skin is another problem I have to combat – keep putting powder with clotrimazole on their little bodies a few times a day. I can’t express how badly we need the monsoon.

Paul
    Participant

[quote=16621]I can’t express how badly we need the monsoon.[/quote]

I read that they come in mid June, is any break in the temperature expected before then? I hope it changes quickly for you and your family, Anna-Marine.

Antonina
    Participant

[quote=16622]I read that they come in mid June, is any break in the temperature expected before then? [/quote]

Unfortunately, no. It will be hot as hell until the rains.

[quote=16622]I hope it changes quickly for you and your family, Anna-Marine.[/quote]

Thanks a lot, Paul.

Antonina
    Participant

Finally we had the first rain a few days ago. Although it’s still pretty hot, it’s a bit easier to breathe. Hopefully there are many more rains to come.

I was so happy to hear the sound of the falling raindrops that I made a short video and shared it on our Fb page – https://www.facebook.com/Indiapalette/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.