Indian sweets!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Antonina
    Participant

It took me some time to develop a taste for Indian sweets. They looked so attractive in the shops, carefully arranged in beautiful pyramids or sorted out by color and size. But when I finally selected some sweets that looked the most delicious and promising, they turned out to be … just too sweet!

Yes, like most main courses of the Indian cuisine are too spicy, the Indian desserts are sweet beyond sweetness. I’ve heard that eating spicy food since early childhood deadens the taste receptors of the tongue to a great extent, that’s why every Indian dish, including desserts, has to have a very strong taste.

However, I go for a sort of romantic point of view – India doesn’t know half measures in its passions. If it’s hot, it’s HOT! If it’s beautiful, it’s BEAUTIFUL! If it’s ugly, it’s REALLY UGLY! If it’s spicy, it’s SPICY! Well, you’ve got the idea. The same concerns the Indian sweets. If you accept this fact and start trying them little by little, they’ll open to you the whole palette of delicious tastes.

SO far my favorites include, but aren’t limited to: gulab jamun, jalebi, kheer, halwa, shrikhand, laddu and burfi.

Also, when visiting India, make sure to taste kulfi, the Indian ice-cream, without any additional flavours. Never in my life I ate a better ice-cream. Such a genuine, rich, fantastic taste, like something from the childhood. This is what an ice-cream should be like.

A word of warning – be careful with milk based Indian sweets (and most of them are). Before eating, make sure they are really fresh, otherwise tasting spoiled sweets may result in the most severe food poisoning. And this is what you don’t want to experience when traveling in another country.

Don’t buy those attractive boxes of Indian sweets to give your family and friends back home if you’re not sure you’ll reach home really fast. Better go for different kinds of delicious Indian nuts – they are usually beautifully packed, especially before the big festivals like Diwali.

Another good idea is to buy gulab jamun mix powder and prepare it at home – it’s really easy and safe. Boxes of gulab jamin mixes can be found in any mall.

Antonina
    Participant

A couple of photos. Never mind the prices, they are a bit outdated.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Antonina.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by indiapalette.
    Amaryllis
    Participant

Mmmm…

You forgot falooda though 🙂

barath
    Participant

They looks perfect and my mouth is watering, here in hyderabad Pulla Reddy sweets are famous and we all love them to eat atleast once a year.

Antonina
    Participant

@amaryllis

I didn’t forget, I was thinking of including it into the topic about beverages, but well… Falloda is really something in between a drink and a dessert. It’s made of rose syrup (or any other flavor), vermicelli, cashew nuts, raisins, pieces of jelly, tapioca seeds and milk. All these is usually topped by a scoop of ice-cream, so you can imagine how delicious it is!

Next time I’ll take a better photo, but this is what I have for now.

Attachments:
    Antonina
    Participant

They also sell falooda mixes, so all you need to do it to buy a liter of milk and prepare a delicious beverage in the comfort of your home.

Antonina
    Participant

And here is a gulab jamun mix.

torakami
    Participant

The Most popular sweet is Jalebi which is not popular only in India but also in other countries as well.Its not required that you can enjoy this dish only when its warm or cold ,different test comes if you try in both condition.

Let me tell you one more thing which sounds little crazy but in Indore and bhopal side this sweet dish is served with “Chaas” (Buttermilk).In Mumbai people feels little awkward when they attend Indore or Bhopal side marriage.Because this serving specially seen in marriages.The way we eat “tea-biscuits” , Indori style is same when they serve Jalebi with buttermilk.

i felt very yuk when i saw this style for the first time.But i was curious as well,i wanted to try to know how it it would test like.I tried then and believe me it test Awesome.Tried once if you not heard about this.

Attachments:
    Antonina
    Participant

[quote=5705]Its not required that you can enjoy this dish only when its warm or cold ,different test comes if you try in both condition.[/quote]

@torakami

Yes, I enjoy it frozen!

[quote=5705]The way we eat “tea-biscuits” , Indori style is same when they serve Jalebi with buttermilk.[/quote]

Interesting, will definitely try it.

torakami
    Participant

Let me know when you are planning to try this dish .. I will join as well

Antonina
    Participant

Today tasted these amazing sweets. Don’t ask me about their name. They had lots of nuts inside and rose petals on the top. @dokuman, @kamal, @torakami, any idea what sweets are these?

Attachments:
    Antonina
    Participant

And these famous cashew nuts from Goa and homemade sweets were given to us on Eid. Thanks, @madiha and @muddassir-m.

Attachments:
    Satori
    Participant

@anna-marine you are most welcome..

Travelling Soldier
    Participant

[quote=6000]Today tasted these amazing sweets. Don’t ask me about their name. They had lots of nuts inside and rose petals on the top. @dokuman, @kamal, @torakami, any idea what sweets are these? [/quote]

Not too sure what those sweets are to be honest, @anna-marine. A friend of mine sitting next to me, Abhishek, likes them too because of how beautiful the stuffing looks…. and of course how delicious too. But we just cannot get our heads round to what they are. Give us some time, perhaps and we will tell you! 🙂

Antonina
    Participant

@universalcitizen, @abhishek

Hope you won’t mind if the task is a bit more difficult 🙂 what are these little yellow balls in the saucer? They were very sweet, soft and tasted like ad been deep fried in the oil.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.