Manhunt under way for shooter of two Ferguson police officers

Home Forums News Manhunt under way for shooter of two Ferguson police officers

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Baruti M. Kamau 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Baruti M. Kamau
    Participant

Unrest continues in the small town of Ferguson outside St. Louis, Missouri as two police officers were, reportedly, shot while hundreds of people were peacefully demonstrating outside the Ferguson Police Department. One officer was shot in the shoulder and the other was shot in the face. Both officers are expected to survive their injuries.

Critics of the shooting believe it will be a set back to the movement #Blacklivesmatter. Supporters of the movement have been quick to distant themselves from the shooting. Establishment media reports have documented fist fighting and ideological arguments among the demonstrators before the shooting. However, no one as of yet were able to pinpoint a shooter(s).

The police are of the opinion that the shooter was about the distance of a football field away. They do believe the shooter was apart of the protesters. Also they believe the weapon of choice was not a rifle; and thus, the shooter could not have been a professional sniper. It is believed the shooter was an opportunists, who recognized the opportunity in using the demonstrators as cover to one up on the Ferguson police. An intense manhunt is underway for the shooter.

The article “Manhunt under way for shooter of two Ferguson police officers” was written by Baruti M. Kamau and published on IndiaPalette for discussion purposes.

Amaryllis
    Participant

As @roncartier said in his article about America, too many guns… I agree.

Baruti M. Kamau
    Participant

@amaryllis, The problem is that the second amendment guarantee citizens the right to bear arms. This was enshrined in our constitution to give citizens the ability to protect themselves against an abusive government. Even though I agree that gun proliferation in America has contributed to a gun culture that’s obviously out of whack; however, I’m ambivalent about how one should respond to rogue authorities in a legal environment that give the owner of power and capital the benefit of the doubt when in opposition to the claims for justice by poor people.

Sapphire
    Participant

[quote=12386]I’m ambivalent about how one should respond to rogue authorities in a legal environment that give the owner of power and capital the benefit of the doubt when in opposition to the claims for justice by poor people.[/quote]

@baruti – Isn’t this the way things have been since the beginning of time, with those in power abusing that power?

What’s disturbing is that we traditionally think of democracies as being above such abuses of power – one would expect this from the soviet KGB, for example. Yet it seems that capitalism can corrupt the ideals of democracy quite efficiently.

Maddie
    Participant

[quote=12363]As @roncartier said in his article about America, too many guns… I agree. [/quote]

Guns are not the problem. The problem is people with ideas in their head to hurt other people. Guns are just a tool they use. In the Oklahoma City bombing, the guy blew up a building which led to many lives being lost and he did it using a truck full of fertilizer. Not once did shot at anyone. If he had entered the building with a firearm, police would have stopped him before he could have killed that many people with the gun. He just used something that could cause a lot of destruction and kill a lot of innocent lives a lot quicker. The point being, you don’t need a gun to kill innocent people.

Amaryllis
    Participant

@bazinga, I think guns are the problem. Preparing a truck of fertilizer a person requires careful planning and enough determination to carry on. Most normal people cool down after arguments and don’t bother with all the revenge plans. Guns are conveniently during an argument, and they are often used in anger.

Baruti M. Kamau
    Participant

@sapphire, the challenge I am presenting to modern society is that can we work toward transcending into a society that does not favor power and capital over justice. I don’t know if everyone is born equal, but I do know we are “born to love and taught to hate.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.