Things I miss in India

Home Forums India – cultural and travel experiences Things I miss in India

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Antonina 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Antonina
    Participant

I’ve always avoided talking about things I miss in India, but now I just thought it would be easier for me to deal with my craves if I finally express myself.

I’ve just written a blog post here on IndiaPalete about something I miss, and I guess it’s just the first of the many. So I’m planning to copy all my future grumpy posts into this topic ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, everyone can share the things they miss after a dramatic change of lifestyle, moving to another place and so on.

So, here is the first thing I terribly miss in India – Swimming.

Antonina
    Participant

I loved water since I learned to swim as a small kid. In Ukraine I was fortunate to live close enough the the Black and Azov seas, and not a single summer vacation was spent without going to the seashore. My hometown was situated on the banks of the majestic Dnipro river, and there was a smaller river in my parentsโ€™ village as well.

Swimming is both challenging and relaxing. I loved to challenge myself in different ways โ€“ it was so much fun to cross the Dnipro and come back with a beautiful water lily in my hand, or to swim against the current, or to pick up interesting stones from the bottom.

Physical fitness due to extensive swimming is one more thing โ€“ I believe this is what really helped me to stay in one piece reasonable shape after giving birth to three kids.

I miss those wonderful sensation when you feel unstable on your legs when getting out of the water, because after a couple of hours of swimming your body actually begins to believe you to be a creature of the sea.

Swimming in India is impossible for me for so many reasons. Firstly, I hate swim pools, so this option is not considered at all. Then, I donโ€™t like the beach culture in Goa, thatโ€™s why Iโ€™ve successfully avoided visiting this place. And swimming in the polluted waters of the Arabian city around Mumbai would be madness.

Soโ€ฆ here we go ๐Ÿ™ Itโ€™s been 7 years without swimming. On the brighter side, Iโ€™ve discovered the beauty of boating ๐Ÿ™‚

(to see the photos, you may check out here – http://www.indiapalette.com/things-i-miss-in-india-swimming/ )

@orientalsong, @tawfiq, @baruti, @indostan, @rajmaru, @zoldos, @babit, @nastilina, @paul, @travel-mad, @elusive-sage, @alexandra and everyone else, is there something you miss and would like to share?

Amaryllis
    Participant

I know, your next post will be about missing buckwheat. All the Slavic expats do ๐Ÿ™‚ But well, jokes aside, I understand what you mean about swimming and hopefully you’ll find a solution.

Baruti M. Kamau
    Participant

Well, @anna-marine, at this moment I’m missing a giant plate of genuine, authentic lamb curry. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough money today to go out to my local Indian restaurant. ๐Ÿ™

Antonina
    Participant

@baruti, I’ve never tried lamb carry, to be honest. Actually, I’m on my way to keep my diet as meat free as possible , but before I switch to vegetarianism completely, perhaps I should give lamb carry a try ๐Ÿ™‚

Antonina
    Participant

My family from Ukraine has just sent the picture – the first flowers of this spring. This is one more thing I miss in India – the fragrance of spring in the air. It’s a unique combination of flowering trees and melting snow evaporating from the soil under the gentle rays of sun.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Antonina.
    Attachments:

OrientalSong
    Participant

[quote=12660]This is one more thing I miss in India โ€“ the fragrance of spring in the air. Itโ€™s a unique combination of flowering trees and melting snow evaporating from the soil under the gentle rays of sun.[/quote]

I’ll send more to tease you ๐Ÿ˜€

Raj Maru
    Participant

@anna-marine

When talking about swimming, you cant go to swimming pools because you hate it, you cannot go to beaches because of creepy non sense that goes all around it ( Honestly I hate it too) and no Arabian because its polluted (maybe it is madness but I do it occasionally ๐Ÿ˜‰ )….

But y not go to lakes and rivers… Of course you would have to go in Monsoon, but provided you haven’t been swimming for 7 years, it would be best to swim in some lake or river atleast for a while… ๐Ÿ™‚
    Or maybe a dam… and we have rivers and lakes and dams, not very far from where we live (its still between 40 to 100 kms, but we can manage that).

Antonina
    Participant

Thanks, @rajmaru, I’m actually considering lakes and rivers after @babit left [url=http://www.indiapalette.com/things-i-miss-in-india-swimming/#comment-990]this comment[/url] on my blog post ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.