Traditional music

This topic contains 114 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  indiapalette 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

I love hearing traditional (or folk) music from around the world and I’m hoping that some members of IndiaPalette will be willing to share their favorites here.

I have heard this first song while sitting in a restaurant not too far from Targoviste, Romania. Hearing the song definitely added to the memory of the evening. The title of the song is “Unde e TΓ’rgovistea” (Where is Targoviste?).

I found this next song while browsing videos on YouTube earlier today. I can’t say that it’s a “favorite” but it sure makes me wish that I was listening to it somewhere in the Bavarian alps.

Antonina
    Participant

Wonderful topic, Paul. Can’t wait to listen to this musc (my son is sleeping and headphones suddenly stopped working πŸ™ ) . And will go to YouTube right away to find some of my favorite Ukrainian songs πŸ™‚

Paul
    Participant

I found a nice one from Italy πŸ™‚

Antonina
    Participant

@paul, what a magical effect the first Romanian song has- hearing one song like this is sometimes enough to fall in love with a country.

And here is one of my favorite Ukrainian songs – “Moon in the sky”

[youtube]hQ0sTy8ccpY[/youtube]

Antonina
    Participant

And one more.

[youtube]po78Z3i1lq0[/youtube]

Paul
    Participant

[quote=15478]hearing one song like this is sometimes enough to fall in love with a country.[/quote]

Indeed. I can’t understand the lyrics and sometimes there are no lyrics at all but the music is still moving, such as it is with the songs that you posted. I would love to hear them while actually being in Ukraine.

Here is another Romanian song that I can’t understand but recognize when I hear it being played.

OrientalSong
    Participant

Who doesn’t like the Greek sirtaki? πŸ˜€

[youtube]ogkZwD3-5r4[/youtube]

OrientalSong
    Participant

Or katevas?

[youtube]ADUnnsqHaGg[/youtube]

Penelope
    Participant

My father used to sing this old British song

[youtube]1uZ-p-tN8Gs[/youtube]

Penelope
    Participant

@paul, @anna-marine, @orientalsong, thanks a lot for the beautiful music. what a nice way to start me day

Paul
    Participant

Very nice @orientalsong and @penelope πŸ™‚

Paul
    Participant

A couple more traditional Romanian songs, on the same video.

Antonina
    Participant

@penelope, I love that song!
    @orientalsong, are these played at the weddings?
    @paul, my kids are dancing to your music at this very moment πŸ™‚

And today one of the Facebook contacts shared this Macedonian song. I wouldn’t say I like it, but it’s interesting.

[youtube]EgqUUp-HnwE[/youtube]

Paul
    Participant

[quote=15496]@paul, my kids are dancing to your music at this very moment :)[/quote]

I’m glad they enjoyed it! I would love to hear some more music from Ukraine πŸ™‚

Antonina
    Participant

[quote=15513]I would love to hear some more music from Ukraine :)[/quote]

Ha-ha. don’t let me start, or I’ll spam the whole topic with thousands Ukrainian songs.

[youtube]vBdGUBOs_r4[/youtube]

[youtube]WyPmAJqnxNU[/youtube]

[youtube]MCuqR4Jz9DU[/youtube]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.