Why are people in India afraid of cats?

Home Forums India – cultural and travel experiences Why are people in India afraid of cats?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Antonina
    Participant

The other days the doorbell rang, I went to the front door and saw three men with cables, wires, instruments and what not. They needed a key to climb up the roof in order to do some repair work. I gave the key and forgot about them.

But as I did my household chores I kept hearing their talk and laughter until I went to the font door again. When I asked what was going on, they just pointed up the stairs leading to the roof. There was an old cat sitting there and “blocking their way”!

The poor creature is more than 20 years old, lame and almost blind, but even if it was a healthy young animal, it’s still just a cat 🙂 Not a tiger or leopard, but a cat.

There were some other incidents: a tuition teacher didn’t dare to enter the compound because of a kitty. In the park I let my kids pet a friendly looking cat, and people around were horrified.

So what’s the reason behind this fear? Why are people in India afraid of cats? I’ve also noticed cats are given the least priority where the pets are concerned.

We have kitties as pets, and one of the huge benefits of this choice – no trace of rats or mice in the house (these pests are extremely hard to get rid of in India).

Antonina
    Participant

And the other two 🙂

lol Funny to know some people are scared of cats haha, here, cats are scared of us, anyway, I love cats and I had one few years ago.

Paul
    Participant

Shadow looks like my Oscar 🙂

I never knew people were afraid of cats in India. It would be great if someone could explain why.

OrientalSong
    Participant

I remember during one of my trips I was chatting with an Indian guy in a roadside cafe when I noticed a tiny skinny kitten hiding behind a tree and looking at us. I asked my companion how they usually call a cat. In Russia we use “ks-ks-ks” sounds when we want a cat to approach us. My companion looked puzzled for a moment and then replied: “But why would one want to call a cat”?

EllenSummers
    Participant

Does it have anything to do with superstitions?

Antonina
    Participant

[quote=11436]Does it have anything to do with superstitions?[/quote]

Apparently, something like that, Ellen. This is a response I’ve got in one of the social networks: “it is because cats are not loyal 🙂 ,,, in most parts of India its a belief that cats do not attach emotions and this seed grew up in many superstitious beliefs like they are bad luck and so on.”

Antonina
    Participant

A valuable addition from the same person:
    “The fact is considering Indian social set up which was and is “Rural” in most parts of the country, cats pose a threat sort of impression. they can harm a new born baby, they don’t attach emotions to humans, and because Indians were doing business overseas with Egyptians & Sumerians in ancient days where cats are worshiped, Brahmins in those days thought to represent cats as bad luck just so that the masses do not leave their supremacy and start following Egyptian or Sumerian culture. As cats were a threat to Brahminical cult in ancient days they were portrayed as a threat to all by means of religion and superstition”.

[quote=11412]I never knew people were afraid of cats in India. It would be great if someone could explain why.[/quote]

@paul
    , @tawfiq, @ellensummers, @orientalsong, I think this is on of the possible explanations we were waiting for.

Raj Maru
    Participant

@anna-marine hehe, this is just true for Indians. They do consider cats as ill-omen and devils pet and what not. Just because cats at any time are more independent than dogs, and still possess their hunting instinct from their ancestors.

And if the cat is full black in color well you might just want to stop listening to the person and walk away without even wanting to look back again EVER… The black cat is considered the worst animal to cross your path. I have seen people who would just stop if they see a black cat crossing their path and would wait for any other person to pass first so that “Bad luck” would go with them, and they remain unaffected (now that is what I consider Blind faith)… So in India you can blame all your days failure and bad luck on a full black cat that crossed your path and you would be believed instantly… 😀 😀

Well that reminds me of one more incident, one of my friend wanted to adopt two kittens. I helped him in adopting two kitten siblings (Both the kittens were white with brown and black patches, meaning none of them both were completely black 😛 :P) and he was very happy with them. But on the fifth day, he called me and asked me come to his home as there was some very serious problem with the kittens. When I went to his place, he said that he doesn’t want them anymore and asked me to take them away. When I asked him the reason I didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry on that persons mentality or heights of stupidity. He said that this morning the oil that was kept in the diya (a small cup-shaped lamp) was spilled by one of the kittens while they were playing, and this is an insult to the god, and the kittens have some kind of Satan’s powers as they did such an unholy thing, so take the kittens away. End of the story and my contact with that person as well.

I mean can you believe that…??? What might be the heights of superstitions filled in people here, that even spilling of oil from a diya can make one Satan’s soldier… Some things are just disgusting, and people don’t even try to think logically, or if not that, don’t even use their common sense. I wonder what could be the reason behind such a strong stupidity, what do you guys think..??

Raj Maru
    Participant

These were the Kitten siblings that were returned from that person because they spilled the oil from the diya….. 😛 😛

Antonina
    Participant

[quote=11582]I didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry[/quote]

This is a very accurate descriptions of one’s emotions in cases like this, @rajmaru.

So, how are the kittens now? Are they still waiting for a new owner?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.